E.A.Outlaws: Looking for a new computer - E.A.Outlaws

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a new computer Anyone got advice?

#16 User is offline   Java Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Tenderfoot
  • Time Zone:GMT-6
  • EAO Team Joined:Most Wanted

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Tho some will recommend to build a custom pc and or pay a tech to build it based on what hardware and os you chose, may be a bit to much for somoeone that wants a good pc without building. I recommend DELL or ASUS factory built laptops/desktops. Stay away from Compaq/HP for gaming. For graphics editing they work fine. Dell has performance in mind as well as ASUS. those two are familiar with the gaming industry. Dell produced Alienware, ASUS builds alot of high performance pc's/laptops/motherboards. ATI and nVidia is a given. It is about what you want. It wont be fair to recommend one over the other based on my opinions because only you can decide what you feel alright with for the purpose you intend.

#17 User is offline   EAO Nathalie Icon

• Master of the Forum
  • Icon
  • Group: Bandit
  • Interests:Healthy living. I'm a vegan who loves cycling, running, yoga, tennis, softball, dancing, socializing and enjoying as much of life as I can.
  • Time Zone:GMT-4
  • EAO Team Joined:Hot Pursuit 2

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

All good information you guys. Thanks so much for the input. I'm learning a lot here. (Y)
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   EAO Robbie Icon

• Team HP2 Leader
  • Icon
  • Group: Desperado
  • Interests:Music, Photography, Sport Motorcycling, Remote Control Aircraft, HP2, Arma2, Flight Sims, Ancient Aliens, The Fourth Dimension.
  • Time Zone:GMT-7
  • EAO Team Joined:Hot Pursuit 2

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

I'm having a computer built, should be ready tomorrow. My current computer was doing just fine but with XP loosing support in a couple months I figured I better get a new computer. While deciding what OS to install, I learned some interesting stuff. Win 7 is much more compatible than Windows 8 for older games and software so I went with Win 7. Although the less expensive versions of Win 7 have a "compatibility mode", Win 7 Pro actually contains the full version of Windows XP. That means you can run older games and software in the XP OS. There is a free download from MS that allows that to occur. Since all the games that I play are old games, that works for me.
Here is the main components of my new computer.

Asrock z87 Extreme 4 MB
Intel Core I5-4670k Processor (Top of the line I5. I7 helps games very little and cost is high)
Crucial 8GB D3 1600 (16GB would have been better but 8 will work fine. extra $75 for 16 GB, can add later if needed.)
Western Digital 1TB Black. (The 2TB was way more expensive and I have a 1TB external)
Cool Master Hper 212 Evo CPU Cooler. (Didn't really need this but cooler is better)
Corsair 600w Power Supply. (100 watts more than I need but a little extra is good)
MSI GTX660 oc Twnfz3 2gb graphics card. (Incredibly powerful card for under $200.)
Corsair Carbide Series Case. (Paid $20 more than original plan but much better case)
Win 7 Pro OS ($40 more than Home Premium but it contains Win XP plus lots of other good stuff.)
All that for under $1000.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic