#1 User is offline   Geezr Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Tenderfoot
  • Interests:art
  • Time Zone:GMT-5
  • EAO Team Joined:High Stakes

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

Browsers for XP and Windows 7 are beginning to limit support. Opera and Firefox are the 2 that I currently use. Firefox is very tricky for many to run java script. Can't get it to run at all. Opera has given the last version to XP users as of April. (version 36) Opera runs more extensions and much easier than Firefox. So far anyway. Kind of surprising since as of April net market share My link
more than 58% are running Windows 7 or XP. :o

I love my XP! Sooo easy to work with. :P Still keep my 7 as a backup in the event my XP gets run outta town. I have disabled updates for 7 so as to avoid the sneaky auto updates that push you eventually to 10. Windows 7 and I don't get along so if I must use it it will probably be used almost exclusively for gaming. If 7 goes away too my gaming career as I know it will likely end. I see an apple coming.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   EAO_Lix Icon

• Site Admin
  • Icon
  • Group: Outlaw

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

you could always download a VM converter.
that way IF and IF the hardware does, and you get an Apple, you can still have your windows XP and 7 machine.

thats what i did. i then copied the VM to my new desktop and laptop. so i have everything together.
Posted Image

------------------------------
Do or Do not, There is no Try
-Yoda

#3 User is offline   Geezr Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:45 PM

View PostEAO_Lix, on 25 May 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

you could always download a VM converter.
that way IF and IF the hardware does, and you get an Apple, you can still have your windows XP and 7 machine.

thats what i did. i then copied the VM to my new desktop and laptop. so i have everything together.

You have done that with an apple product?
I have read more negative than positive reports about running windows stuff on a Mac.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   EAO_Lix Icon

• Site Admin
  • Icon
  • Group: Outlaw

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

i persoanlly have not, but i have a hand full of co workers that use apple, then a VM that runs windows.
Posted Image

------------------------------
Do or Do not, There is no Try
-Yoda

#5 User is offline   Geezr Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

Thx for the replies Lix.

For me<-- my XP is like having a horse. Vista and Windows 7 was like trading for a mule. Would not get a Mac/Apple to run anything other than a horse.

The latest suitable Apple product that would run XP would be a 2014, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch. $1,699.00
This would be using boot camp. At first look it does not seem that using a VM you could us XP at all unless you ended up using boot camp. Really not sure. Also seems you would need an original XP installation CD. All I have is recovery installation.

The big picture being, just does not look like lots of fun. A clean split with Microsoft seems in order if I outlive my wonderful XP.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Ducky Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon
  • Time Zone:GMT+2
  • EAO Team Joined:Hot Pursuit 2

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

I am building a new PC and I can't decide between buying a Windows 7 or Windows 10 OEM keys. I don't want 10 cause of compatibility issues for older games (menu click issue in HP2 and HS for example), but I feel that I will be forced to update to 10 anyway, so yeah... I don't see any reason for upgrading to to Windows 10 except for DX12 and higher framerates in games.
At work I'm using the 27 inch 5K Mac and It's a very good machine for productivity. I do recommend it, but at home I mainly use my computers for games, so I stick with Windows.
My HP2 server is running on XP with updates disabled and works like a charm.

#7 User is offline   Geezr Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostDucky, on 27 May 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

I am building a new PC and I can't decide between buying a Windows 7 or Windows 10 OEM keys. I don't want 10 cause of compatibility issues for older games (menu click issue in HP2 and HS for example), but I feel that I will be forced to update to 10 anyway, so yeah... I don't see any reason for upgrading to to Windows 10 except for DX12 and higher framerates in games.
At work I'm using the 27 inch 5K Mac and It's a very good machine for productivity. I do recommend it, but at home I mainly use my computers for games, so I stick with Windows.
My HP2 server is running on XP with updates disabled and works like a charm.

I see no need to disable updates with XP. I have kept them on and I still get the once a month malicious removal thing. Not that that has ever been an effective tool. Funny thing was that a month ago I got 12 updates offered. I was suspicious of them so I researched them. Seemed legitimate so I took them all. Seems the sneaky Microsoft hidden updates they use to force users to update do not apply to XP users. :) I do make sure that my anti virus program is kept up to date daily. On a related note: Windows Defender has been rendered useless on XP.

Microsoft's strategy of trying to bully me into buying more stuff from them that I don't want will not work. I will move on.

This post has been edited by Geezr: 27 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Ducky Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon
  • Time Zone:GMT+2
  • EAO Team Joined:Hot Pursuit 2

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll check those updates.

Microsoft's strategy of trying to bully me into buying more stuff from them that I don't want will not work. I will move on.

I don't think that Apple is much better in this regard. They will try to sell their devices for a lot of money every year or even quicker :D
But I really don't want to start a Apple VS Microsoft discussion, both of them recently are trying to make EZ $$$ by any means. Things are getting worse on both sides in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Ducky: 27 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

#9 User is offline   [NFBS]Fishy Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Team [NFBS]

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

lo guys.. sry to break into your weightful discussion.. only goin to spent my 2 ct of rather (hopefully not as much) useless info.. all u could look it at was probly personal preferences or "heard-of" issues.. but here goes..

Im mostly with Geezrs point of view.. I still got a running XP on my main PC, even if I moved on to use Win7 as a primary "base of operations". My main reason to move to win7 was the 64bit issue.. Only in Win7 I am able to fully take advance of the Gigabit Network interface.. with XP the cap lies somewhere in the mysterie and seems to limit the Gigabet at around 50% of its capacity.

that being said, Im mostly satisfied with MS gives me, when talking about using win7... but also I am 1 of the many annoyed to death, MS tries to move to Win10.. I know so many ppl saying Win10 is generous, and I do believe them. But it simply doesnt fit all my needs, mostly for the facts stated: it doesnt support the use of some older software, or better, the use of some older games. Call me nostalgic if u must, or maybe wasted (applies a lot of the time though), but its me to decide where I want my OS to take me. I dont need tricky updates that pre-install update features. I just want to decide my own, and 100% on that matter

but I think if talkin apple, thats only half of the story. I never had any apple aka OS X device myself, never gained any experience on that. yet I believe (..) that its a heavy capable OS and piece of hardware. BUT, never forget, even if some people might claim so. Apple is just another OS/Hardware area. I will never believe people who say apple systems are safe from being hacked. only thing that applies to that is, apple plain is a not so popular system hackers dont have a focuss on.

whatever, just my personal thoughts.. the main reason I posted here is the fact that I find the topic very interesting, specifially at times MS wants you to take the "free ride" to Win10. I yet remain undecided, will stay away from that route for now, for some to me known, and some to me (yet) unkown reasons ;)

#10 User is offline   Geezr Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Yes, Apple also certainly does try to move along their products quickly, especially the i OS.
After considerable reading mostly centered on OS X, Consensus had it that new products were not forced upon users. Some disagreed but what I see is that if you are happy with what you bought it will still go on working fine, Just like always. Is that true? Which ever way it is, the newer products seem to truly be upgrades and few are disappointed.

So, has Microsoft softened it's stand on forcing Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10 after finding that more than 50% of users still cling to Windows 7? I have my doubts after reading a 2 month old article. More than 100 responses to the article.
My link

Several years ago I found Microsoft had softened it's stand on another promised forced update. With every country in the world ready or already voluntarily updated except one it was almost certain the update would be happily taken by all. I bet big time on it. To be continued...

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic